Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Training session with TBI client

Hi all
I have been motivated by these posts and thought I'd give some simple apps a try with a client I see for counselling/ rehab. He suffered a severe TBI 10 years ago, and has support workers throughout the day, but none overnight. He relies on them for reminders and has expressed frustratiuon that he forgets things he wants to tell people. So, today we went through the Voice Recorder and the Calendar. He'd like to sync it with the computer, but the support workers use a paper diary which works well for them. So far, what I have learnt, don't try too many new things at once, and make sure the support workers are on side. I invited his support worker in to the end of the session, and went through the Voice Recorder with her. I asked her to prompt my client for times when he might use it. I suspect it will take quite a bit of work to get these 2 new reminder systems into his repertoire, but it will be worth it in my opinion, as it will give him extra independance which he desparately desires.
Any thought most welcome.
Cheers
Emma

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, Emma. It is good to see the actual application of all these ideas. You are right - people will need training on electronic aids as much as on paper diary. Please keep us updated on how it is going.

    Welcome on board as a co-author.

    cheers,
    Izabela

    ReplyDelete